Maine Central, Lamoille Valley

Maine Central, Lamoille Valley
Click image to link to my web site, nekrailroad.com

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Three Little Sheds

As Bob Marley says in Three little Birds, "Every little thing...is gonna be alright"! Well, if you have this kit in your stash, I recommend pulling it out and getting started on it. It goes together easily and quickly, and you should have no problems with these at all, mon!


These three little sheds I built from a kit by KingMill called 3 Sheds at Cohasset. I built these as directed in the kit's instructions, including ideas on painting. The instructions are good and you should read through them all first as it will make assembly easier knowing what is coming later.

The walls were painted gray first and then drybrushed with Aged White over that to give the effect of peeling paint. I think that technique is pretty effective and I recommend giving it a try to see what effects you can create.

The roof material (self stick shingles and tin panels) was painted LV Cornell Red by airbrush. However after installing the roof, I still had to go back and repaint and touch up, so I m not sure painting it ahead of time really saved me any time or effort.

I finished these off using weathering powders from Bragdon, using grays on the walls and rusts on the roof, with some black applied sparingly here and there.



All in all a fun and easy time building these. A good kit for the beginner to the expert. Now, where to put these on my layout?

Here is the kit on the KingMill web site:
KingMill 3 Sheds

Their website indicates that these are sold out right now, but maybe you can find them at a show or hobby shop. You could also send KingMill an e-mail and let them know you are interested in getting these kits run again.


If you have any questions about these or want some photos, let me know in the comments section.

2 comments:

Wayne Woodland said...

Great Job on the sheds Mike

Wayne

www.nottinghamsub.blogspot.com

Tom Patterson said...

Mike-

Those sheds look really great. The idea of painting the structure grey first and then applying the white is genius! And very effective.

By the way, I used your technique for styrene back drops on my layout and it worked out fantastic. You can see a portion of it on my blog at: http://cwerailroad.blogspot.com/. I was e-mailing a friend about styrene back drops and was going to give you credit, but I couldn't remember your name. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, it came to me. After digging around your blog and website I found the article and provided a link in my e-mail.

Your blog and website look really good, but not nearly as nice as your modeling. Just very, very fine work!

Tom Patterson